METAMORPHOSIS – Call for ApplicationsApplications due by October 15th, 2018 at 11:59 EST
About the Project
Metamorphosis is an un/pitched project centered around creating a new body of solo work for vibraphone & percussion.
We are looking for an applicant that can use the selected instruments in a way that showcases their unique style and personality. Over the course of the performance the audience will witness an evolution of ingenuity as each composer writes for the the same collection of instruments through their own perspective.
For a total of four works commissioned with the same instrumentation, we will have pieces by un/pitched composers Emmanuel Berrido, Sergio Cote, and Dallas J. Howard, and we are looking our next composer to commission and join the un/pitched network!
Applications open on September 1st, 2018, and the selected composer will be notified by October 20th. The selected composer will then have until January 1st, 2019 to complete the piece.
These new works for vibraphone and auxiliary percussion will be performed and recorded by award-winning contemporary percussionist and Marimba One Vibraphone Artist, Lindsey Eastham. In addition to professional quality videos and several live performances, the selected composer will receive a $250 cash prize, a feature on the un/pitched website and social media, and the option of selling hardcopy scores through un/pitched at all related performances, at full profit to the composer. Furthermore, the selected composer will become part of the un/pitched network including access to our resources, web publicity, and having priority access to upcoming un/pitched projects.
WATCH: Lindsey Eastham performs “Senescence” by Dallas J. Howard with the EASTHAMA percussion duo.
Rules & Procedure
- Composers of any age may apply.
- Composers of any nationality / in any country may apply.
- Applying composers do not need to be affiliated with a school or university.
- Resume/CV, biography, and list of works to date – please make sure these are contained within the same document.
- Link to personal website or social media.
- Score to 2-3 representative works (PDF linked from a cloud-sharing service). These works should serve to demonstrate your compositional style, and at least one of the submitted works must include prominent percussion writing – preferably vibraphone or other pitched percussion.
- Recordings to submitted scores (mp3, linked from a cloud-sharing service).
- All materials must be submitted no later than October 15th, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST.
- All submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by the un/pitched team.
- Submissions must be made through the form on this website.
- Links to PDF and audio/video files should be provided by using cloud-hosting services such as Dropbox, SoundCloud, Google Drive, OneDrive, YouTube, etc. Links need to be accessible until Nov. 20th, 2018.
- There’s a $10 application fee to be submitted to un/pitched by PayPal. Please send the payment for the fee to [email protected], or click here.
- Please send an e-mail to [email protected] for any questions.
Final Composition Details
- The selected composer will be commissioned to write a new 5-7 minute work for vibraphone and auxiliary percussion, to be performed by Lindsey Eastham in the Spring/Summer 2019. Performance details TBA.
- The selected composer will receive a cash price of $250 USD, as well as a video/audio recording of their work.
- The final list of auxiliary percussion will be provided by un/pitched at the time of commission.
- No electronics will be accepted for this commission.